The Century Magazine was first published in the United States in 1881 by The Century Company of New York City, which had been bought in that year by Roswell Smith and renamed by him after the Century Association. It was the successor of Scribner's Monthly Magazine and ceased publication in 1930.
This is Vol. XXVI with six magazines from May to October 1883. Containds scores of articles, poems, topics of the time, open letters, and 'bric-a-brac'.
A short selection of articles: The Pupils of Thomas Bewick (the engraver), Black Bass Fishing, The John Brown Raid, Cape Cod, DuMaurier and London Society, Characteristics of London, Martin Luther After Four Hundred Years, Striking Oil, Living English Sculptors, In The Footsteps of Thackeray, Nights With Uncle Remus.
The red boards have suffered a lot of rubbing and bumping wear to corners and spine ends, and similar wear down spine edges. Although there are very slight paper breaks to end papers the binding remains strong. End papers are marbled; text block edges are also marbled but are noticeably dust soiled. There is a little foxing to some front and rear leaves, but inside pages are unmarked. PP 478/79, which contained a poem called "Too Too" by A. A. Adee has been removed by a former owner.