(featuring The London Harpsichord Ensemble : harpsichordist Millicent Silver (playing a Robert Goble-made instrument) ; flautist John Francis ; violinists Trevor Williams & Raymond Keenlyside ; and, cellist Ambrose Gauntlet. Collectable, "Golden Guinea Collector Series" release from the Sixties)
Five classic works for Harpsichord / "Continuo" by five European composers. While Antonio Vivaldi (1678-1741) ; George Phillip Telemann (1681-1767) ; Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750) ; and, one of J.S.'s sons, Johann Christian Bach (1737-82), are all well-known (- to different degrees -), the album's penultimate track is a fascinating piece by one Johann Joachim Quantz (1697-1773), a talented German who is sadly somewhat overlooked, nowadays.
Side One : London Harpsichord Ensemble :-
1) Concerto for Flute, 2 Violins & Continuo in A minor, by Vivaldi :-
i) I Allegro ii) II Largo iii) III Allegro.
2) Trio for 2 Violins, Cello & Continuo in E flat, by Telemann :-
i) I Affetuoso ii) II Vivace iii) III Grave iv) IV Allegro.
3) Trio for Flute, Violin & Continuo in G, by J S Bach :-
i) I Largo ii) II Vivace iii) III Adagio iv) IV Fugue alla breve.
Side Two : London Harpsichord ... (conclusion) :-
1) Trio for Flute, Violin & Continuo in D, by Quantz :-
i) I Adagio ii) II Allegro iii) III Largo iv) IV Allegro.
2) Concerto for Harpsichord, 2 Violins & Cello in E flat Op.7/5, by J C Bach :-
i) I Allegro di molto ii) II Andante iii) Allegro.
Records graded visually to RRPG grades (record/sleeve) EX-/VG+.