Mentmore Towers, historically known simply as "Mentmore", is a 19th-century English country house built between 1852 and 1854 for the Rothschild family in the village of Mentmore in Buckinghamshire. The house was designed for the banker and collector of fine art Baron Mayer de Rothschild as a country home, and as a display case for his collection of fine art. Mentmore was inherited by Countess Roseberry, née Rothschild, and owned by her descendants, the Earls of Rosebery.
Much of the parkland was sold in 1944, but Mentmore remained with the family until 1977. At that point, unable to come to an arrangement with the nation to preserve the building and contents intact as a Heritage property, the contents were auctioned. These catalogues are the result.
The volumes are divided into catagories; Furniture, Works of art and silver, Porcelain, Paintings, Prints and Drawings and General contents. There are also addenda sheets to the catalogue and some estimates of prices.
All of the dust jackets are worn on the edges and there are several small tears. There is light yellowing of the pages in the margins.